Sunday, April 26, 2009

More April 26 2009




I had to start a second page for today because Blogspot had the nerve to limit the number of pictures I could put in one post. The Charlton Family post-Christmas whirlwind actually started February 14 when we went to California for Ethan's baptism. Congratulations, Ethan! We are so proud of you. The week after his baptism Heather had a lovely Bridal Shower for Beckie. Then came the Lion House Reception March 20, the wedding in St George March 21, and the reception at Glen Ivy Tavern in California March 28. After that we headed home with Heather's kids who were on Spring Break. Some kids got to Florida and Mexico for Spring Break. Ethan and Allison got a week in Logan with the grandparents. At the end of the week we loaded them in the car and headed back to Las Vegas to meet Heather and return her children. This picture was taken the day I took Allison to Salt Lake to the Ballet. We had a great time while Grandpa took Ethan to the IMAX theatre at the Gateway Shopping Center. Allie was so good at the ballet. Even Aunt Anne comented on how well-behaved she was.



Ethan is a genius at many things, but particularly building with legos. He couldn't wait to dig into Shawn and Cade's stash. We loved having the kids to ourselves. When we put them int the car to go to Vegas they were shell-shocked. We realized they made the drive from California to Utah 4 times in 3 weeks. Any parents/grandparents who do that to 2 small children should be reported!

When we first got to Logan with the kids we told Allie she could sleep upstairs across the hall from us. Then we told Ethan he could also sleep upstairs or he could sleep in the basement and have the family room, bedroom and bathroom down there all to himself. He chose that option. We never dreamed he'd stay there all week, but he did. He told his parents he was staying in the Kid Condo. Thanks to Ethan and Allison for being such a joy to have around!

Today in church one of the speakers read a quote from a conference talk. I can't remember who the quote was from but he said that when he is with his family for home evening, or around the table eating a meal, he thinks the way he feels at those times is how it will feel in heaven. I couldn't agree more.

Every family has these great, memory-making moments and every family has its challenges. Barely a month after the wedding Dave had an emergency appendectomy. That was Friday night and he is still in the hospital. Our prayers are with Becca and Dave and we hope he has a speedy recovery. We also pray that Randy and Heather will get into their new home soon, that Shawn and Veda will survive the end of the term at UCA, and that Lillian Mae will arrive safely in June.

While Ethan and Allie were here I had a close friend pass away. When I was in 6th grade our family moved to a new home. My brother was on his mission. My sister was in high school and didn't change to a new school. I however had to change schools. At that time I was painfully shy and self-conscious (REALLY!). We moved at Christmas time and I was extremely worried about going to a new school. Apparently my mother was also concerned. Just a couple of days after moving in she arranged a play date with two girls in the neighborhood. I cried for hours and refused to go, but Mother ran a tight ship and didn't take no for an answer, so eventually I trudged down the street and met one girl whose name I no longer remember and Barbara. Barbara and I became instant friends and stayed best friends throughout high school. We were inseparable. But after high school we lost touch. I ran into her once at Utah State where she was completing a Master's Degree in Special Education and then she moved to Kansas. About four years ago we had lunch in Ogden. When we got home from our mission a classmate contacted me and said Barbara had lost my address and wanted to get in touch with me. I never called. And I never knew she was dying of breast cancer. I went to her graveside service in Smithfield. She married a man from Smithfield who died about 5 years ago, also of cancer, so they are both buried there. I was more affected by her death than I expected to be. It's the first time someone my age that I was close to has passed away. The obvious lesson here is stay in touch with your friends. I wish I had talked to her one last time.

On our way home from Las Vegas Pat called and told us that Robert's Uncle Paul passed away. So we stopped in Ogden on our way home and went to the viewing. Paul's first wife died several years ago and an old high school girlfriend came to her funeral. Her husband had also passed away and she and Paul ended up marrying shortly after the funeral. We never met the new wife but everyone seemed to like her and feel she was good for Paul. As we went through the line at the viewing we introduced ourselves and she said, "Oh, I know you. We've never met but I love reading your Christmas letters and feel that I know you and your family through them." Wow! People actually read those things???? Another lesson learned. Christmas letters are worth the effort.

1 comment:

Veda said...

2 very nice posts! So, nice toe hear from you and that my hard work is being put to use! We love you as well. The wedding was definitely a beautiful time to be together!