November 16, 2006
Today was a visiting day. We drove all over town visiting people we’ve met and a few we didn’t know, just knew they are members. Most of the time people don’t invite you in, you just stand on the porch and talk. That’s really different for us but we’re getting used to it. One of our books said the Apaches don’t see their homes as places for people to get together and talk. They see them as places just for them and figure you go other places for meetings. So we talk on the doorstep.
The Elders are here tonight. Beckie called and Elder Meeks answered the phone and she got so flustered she hung up on him. He thought that was pretty funny.
We were planning to visit again after dinner but Robert Ivins called and asked if Robert had change for $50.00. When he came by to get the money he stayed for over an hour so we decided that was enough visiting for today. Robert Ivins is an interesting man. He has a colorful past but is deeply spiritual. He readily admits that he can’t give up his beer, but attends church regularly, usually in Show Low because he doesn’t have to get up so early in the morning, and Pres. Benito says he never misses a month paying his tithing. He wants to go through the temple and he desperately wants to find what he calls a “one man woman” so he can be a “one woman man.” He said he wants to go to the Celestial Kingdom and started to cry. That’s not an easy moment for an Apache man. He told us he’ll take us to a Sunrise Celebration and that we’ll be safe with him because no one would dare bother us if we’re with him. We’re absolutely positive that’s true, because the colorful past is a violent past. We really do like him and are glad he stops by, which he does quite often now.
We love the weather here. It’s cold at night but warms up every day to 60-70 degrees. It’s truly my idea of perfect weather so far. We talked to Craig Kunz yesterday and he said it was zero degrees in Victor that morning and they had 8 inches of snow. Kinda makes a person appreciate Cibecue.
We’re so excited to hear that Ethan is playing basketball. Hope we get to see him play some time. I’ve been watching for the pictures of the award he got but they must be in the same dimension as the newly discovered room at the church!
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




2 comments:
Did Becca think she got the wrong number? haha, This really made me laugh because I pictured our confident, successful, never miss a beat Becca clamouring over a nineteen year old boy.. I'm sure that wasn't the case, but like usual thanks for the chuckle!
hey - I had this moment of panic where I thought I'd called the missionaries and you're not supposed to call missionaries and...well, there's no explanation really except that I'm a spaz sometimes.
In the meantime - I'm thinking a single guy who only has problems with beer and violence is a HUGE step up for me...hmm.
Post a Comment