Sunday, November 05, 2006

Nov 5

November 5, 2006

Sunday, day of rest…NOT! We got our first callings in the branch. Robert is assistant scoutmaster and I am a Primary teacher. That means I’m the only one in the Primary with 8 kids ages 3 – 11. Actually it was fun. I have also been asked to play the piano for all the meetings and I said the closing prayer and bore my testimony. I felt like the whole show today.

We had a couple whom we invited to church at the clothing giveaway actually come today. We were delighted with our success and have now had our first reactivation. We only wish they had been sober when they came. That might have eliminated the clapping during the meeting and the occasional vocal outbursts. What we did in reality was get two new people at the meeting while driving out the spirit. They said they’ll come back next week. They’re really very sweet and we hope they come.

We then went to Whiteriver to visit a young man in jail. His mother told us about him at the clothing giveaway. She said we could only visit for 15 min. so we figured that’s a quick in and out. What she failed to tell us was that it takes an hour and a half to wait for your turn for the 15-minute visit. Robert went in, wouldn’t let me go inside the jail, so I was waiting in the truck and he was a prisoner for 90 min. He said it was just like TV with the prisoner behind a glass barrier and talking to each other on telephones. It was awkward but hopefully might help this young man someday.

Finally we picked up the Enriquez family at the hospital. Baby was released to day and they had no way to get back to Cibecue. This is the same woman I took to the conference in Hon Dah. She barely got in the truck before asking if they could stop and get a few groceries. I just thought been there, done this and was not at all surprised when their “few groceries” ended up taking almost an hour to buy and looked more like a month’s supply.

Got home about 6:00 PM exhausted. So much for the Sunday naps!

2 comments:

Andi and Cade said...

Rough day.! Have to say, I was very amused by the drunkards though. I do hope they come back, at least you'll be entertained while you run the whole church show!

glo said...

Can't believe you haven't learned the grocery store trick yet - har har.

YAY for investigators! Boo for long jail waits.