June 1, 2007
Robert and Steve played golf today. They had an early tee-time so we left here at 7:45. What a blessing. At 8:30 Cheryl called and wanted us to take her to Whiteriver and then to Show Low. It’s the first of the month so everyone has money to spend. We were already in Show Low and so happy we were out of reach.
While Robert golfed I went grocery shopping. I had to buy groceries for all next week, Sunday Branch dinner, Wednesday birthday party and Thursday Elders. I had a hard time keeping all that straight in my head. By the time we were finished I was exhausted. In the good old days, you went to the grocery store and put groceries in your cart. Then the cashier removed them for you, someone packed them in bags, placed them back in your cart, pushed the cart to your car and unloaded all the groceries into your vehicle. Now, you put them in your cart, you take them out, you put the bags back in your cart, you push your own cart out to your car and unload them yourself and then return the cart to the store or appropriate parking place. And you pay at least triple what we used to pay for the privilege of doing all that work yourself.
So I did all that at Safeway, and again at Kmart, I ordered a birthday cake for Wednesday and ordered the Subway sandwiches.
The Elders had a bad day. They said there was no one in town, which we could have guessed. Like I said. It’s payday. Besides that, there’s a big wedding here at the church tomorrow. And next Saturday the bride is scheduled to be baptized. Tonight the Elders were told that there was a big bachelor’s party this week and both the bride and the groom imbibed. They also found out that another lady who is scheduled for baptism is already on the church records. That story, however, had a happy ending. Turns out there are two Rhonda Dales in Cibecue.
We can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings. No two days in the mission are ever just alike.
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




3 comments:
Well, after we searched out the meaning of the word imbibed we laughed and then realized the story wasn't really meant to be funny.. Silly how our ignorance can bring about such a situation!
Anyway, have fun with Shawn and Veda today! We miss you all.
Not sure what to comment on--sounds like things are progressing at their usual pace. Are Alma and what's his bucket the imbibing bride and groom?
It was sad the story about the girl asking for $$ for pampers for the maybe baby. What a waste of life.
Enjoy Shawn and Veda and kids. We had a lovely time with them. They are bearing pictures and video of birthday and dance recital!
I think you went to Cibecue, D.R. when I read your stories. We once had a lady who had been baptized 10 times - she would get baptized in one region, commit a heinous sin, move towns, and get re-baptized. It was a pretty cool system, actually. Wonder if the Lord was impressed :)
Post a Comment