May 31, 2007
Never fails that as soon as I post the Blog something else happens. Last night about 10:00 President Bonito called. I think we’re the most popular at 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM. every day.
Anyway, President called and asked if Robert was still awake and said he was coming over to talk to him. He pulled up in the driveway and honked. It was odd that he didn’t come in, but Robert put on his shoes and went out to the truck. They talked for about half an hour. Seems President had been at School Board meeting and some of the other school board members heard Robert talk on the radio. Robert had introduced himself and said he was a Special Education Director. Well, the school district here just found out that they lost $60,000 in Spec Ed monies for next year because they have not maintained eligibility requirements on 40 of their Spec Ed students. Their Director walked out on them about 3 months ago. So President was sent here to offer Robert a job. This was a serious offer! They are desperate for a school psychologist to get stuff in order for them by October so they can keep their money.
We were so amused. We wonder what President Buttars would say if we called and said we’re leaving our mission to accept full time employment with the school district. I’m sure they would be happy to find a job for me, too. I told Robert he could work 8-4 every day and then we could do our missionary work from 4-9. We wouldn’t be putting in any more hours than we are now and we’d be getting paid for it. President even hinted that he could stay and keep the job after next March. I told Robert I think that’s a great idea. He asked what we’d do if Cade and Andi left and the house was empty and I assured him the house would not be empty…I’d be in it. He could just mail his paycheck home every month.
Anyway Robert told President thanks so much but we’ve been working at getting retired for a long time and really are trying to avoid work at this point in our lives. He told him he’d be happy to help them get their records in order but would do it as a volunteer.
When we were in Tucson last time Robert broke a tooth. My cousin, LaRae, told me she has a nephew in Show Low who is a dentist, so today we went to the dentist. He’s a great guy and we had fun talking about Melvin and LaRae and Aunt Ethel and Uncle Arch. He worked on Robert’s tooth for 2 hours. Poor Robert. Two hours with his mouth numb, laying flat in the dentist’s chair, while the dentist and his assistant and I had a great time chatting and getting to know each other. He has to put a crown on the tooth, so we have another appointment June 22. He said he likes to help missionaries so would only charge us for the lab fees. When we went to settle the bill we discovered that meant he wrote off $925. We sort of felt guilty, but he assured us this is what he does for missionaries. He was really nice.
We got back late because we didn’t expect to be there for so long. The Elders are here. Elder Rogers told us that Elder Miller has Autism. I’m glad he told us. It will certainly help all of us be a little more patient.
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




2 comments:
It's about time you guys started to earn your keep on the res! We're tired of having to claim such freeloaders as parents!!
I'm really happy that you offered to help out with the records. I get so sad when I think about how much help they need and how little they get...so much to do that I wish good people like you COULD do it!
BTW, Dad looked smart in his suit on the radio show - such excitement!
It is so fun to read about your adventures every day, you guys have to know how much I enjoy this blog. Robert did look great in his suit, what a great opportunity.
I laughed right out loud when I read about the job offer, I was really getting nervous for a second you were thinking of taking it. Thanks for the funny laugh that brought me back to reality! Ha! We'll be seeing you in March then it sounds like!
Post a Comment