Monday, December 03, 2007

Dec 2 07

December 2, 2007

Hopefully we have now done the last of the big dinners of our mission. We were totally exhausted by the time we finished the dinner. We didn’t have quite as many people as Thanksgiving, but we didn’t expect to because we had it on Sunday and had some purpose rather just showing up and eating. We had Mexican food. The people here can make really good Mexican food. It’s amazing to me how we always have just enough food. This time we ran out of fry bread and I thought how that was the first time we had ever actually run out of anything. After a couple of minutes I looked over and there was another huge bowl filled with fry bread. I asked Megan, the little girl serving next to me, where it came from and she said, “I don’t know. Some lady just put it there.” So our record holds. For all the big dinners we’ve done here we’ve never run out of food. Most people stayed to watch the Christmas devotional and seemed to enjoy it. Robert thinks we fed about 100 people.

Wilcocks stayed all afternoon and that was a big help. Since it was Fast Sunday I knew we’d be hungry, so in addition to making two big pans of taco casserole and 3 cakes for the dinner, I also made a crock-pot full of stew for the 4 of us to have for lunch. We had a nice break and a good visit with them and then set up the tables and got everything ready for the dinner. Last night when I was getting things ready I made two cakes. When I got up early this morning to make the stew, I still had one cake mix left. I just felt like we might need another cake, so I hurried and made one more. It was a good thing because the cake went like crazy and we wouldn’t have had enough without that last one.

Anybody ever made a Jello Poke Cake? You make the cake (I made a white cake mix) and let it cool. Then mix 2 small packages of jello (4-serving package) with 2 cups of boiling water and let it dissolve completely (about 2-3 minutes). Next poke holes in the top of the cake. The recipe says to use a large fork, but I used the end of a knife because that’s all I had. Now pour the Jello over your cake and put it in the frig. Let it set at least 3 hours. Then I frosted it with Cool Whip. I used Lime Jello with the white cake and it was good.

Did we mention already that we started the 100-day countdown? We now have 96 days left.

1 comment:

glo said...

How many "last suppers" have you had now??!!