

October 6, 2006
Bright spots of the day! First, we’re back online. Second, I fixed something on my computer! I couldn’t send e-mail so I did the help thing and changed ports (whatever the h… that is) and it worked! Now the not-so-bright spot. We got our phone and Internet today, but it took 4 hours to get the computer hooked up…2 calls to the phone company tech assistance and 1 to Apple. The final verdict was that the Ethernet port on the computer isn’t working and I need to take it to a Mac store to get it fixed. Sounds simple, but the nearest store is in Phoenix, which is 150 miles away. However, we bypassed the hardwire (is that right?) connection and went to wireless and that worked, with a little assistance from the right people. The really sad part was that the phone technician who installed everything was as dumb about computers as I am. We made a sad, sad pair trying to get everything working, but finally succeeded and I’m delighted to be able to post all my new blogs tonight. The other not-so-bright spot is that although the phone/Internet person came as scheduled, the satellite people did not. Robert is experiencing such deep depression that he’s been reduced to watching the Ten Commandments on video. We have quite an impressive collection of church videos here, and this one seemed to be the least offensive to him at the moment.
More computer issues…somehow I’ve made the arrows that move my document up and down disappear and don’t know how to get them back. I don’t even know how to ask for help. What would I type in that little box? “I’ve lost my arrows” or perhaps “Can’t go up and down any more” or what? I’ve tried every possible view, and can get the arrows back if I use page layout but then it’s so small I can’t read it. Any suggestions, oh computer wizards out there? Also, I’d really like to see if I could set up a wireless connection to the printer. Am I correct that I need to purchase a wireless card to do that? Is there anywhere online I can do that? If it can’t be purchased at Wal-Mart I’m just plain out of luck here. And Wal-Mart is 45 minutes away in Show Low. I was so anxious to leave St. Anthony because it was too far away from things. Well, the Lord certainly humbled me. Now Rexburg is looking like a metropolis. Actually, though, there’s more in Cibicue than I thought. In addition to the trading post and post office, there are 2 gas pumps, 1 grocery store the size of Maverick, and a “deli” which doesn’t make sandwiches but does fill our mugs.
It rained all night last night and poured rain all day today until around 5:00. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that much rain, but at least it kept our visitors to a minimum. We spent the whole day cleaning, again, but tonight is the first time I actually feel like we’re approaching an end to this cleaning. The place isn’t clean like home but it’s acceptable. We have a few more things to do tomorrow. And tomorrow we’ll try to hook up the printer. That should be another adventure all its own.
As soon as the rain stopped the visitors started. We only had time for one couple before dark, but they were very nice. They had both lived in Idaho on the placement program when they were young…the man in Ashton and the woman in Idaho Falls.
All right, here’s all our latest contact information:
Dad’s new cell phone: 928-594-4487 (we can’t call any of you, but you can call us…however we will have very short conversations on the cell because we get 500 minutes a month and when they’re gone the phone just shuts off. Nevertheless you can contact us this way if needed.)
Home phone: 928-332-2636 (long distance is 17cents a minute, which is way expensive compared to what I’ve been paying, but it’s the only provider I can use, I think. Not sure. I’ll do more research. Anyway, best way for us to talk is if you call me nights or weekends when Verizon is free.)
Address: PO Box 80386, Cibicue AZ 85911 (We just love that our zip ends in 911. How appropriate is that?)
Please send mail! It took 3 days to get keys to the post office box. Now if we don’t get any mail we’re afraid there could be dire consequences.
Now that we’re all connected Robert tried to call the Branch President today. He had given us 2 numbers. 1 was a wrong number and the other has been disconnected. What do we do if the Branch President leaves town?




2 comments:
So the branch president is unreachable and they're still filling in the bullet holes? I'm thinking we'll not be visiting anytime near elections. Although it's nice to know the Apache still practice raiding white folks' settlements (or churches in this case).
We had family movie night and watched Curious George. Maybe I can send it to Dad after finishes the church video collection. Beckie's off to a singles dance at the stake center. It's nearly ten o'clock here, which means my bedtime.
Sleep well in your cozy little nest!
This is starting to be my favorite screwball Internet comedy...
No help here on computer issues - but I'll see if I can recruit some friends to assist....that's what we bloggers do best.
Congrats on nearing the end of cleaning! And now that you have PO Box, your lazy kids can start doing the mission support thing right...
Post a Comment