October 9, 2006
Right now we’re on our way to a district meeting in Pinetop. We probably won’t go every week but thought today it would be a nice opportunity to meet more of the Elders who work in this area. So I’m taking some driving time to write something I’ve been thinking about but haven’t recorded yet.
I just want to put into words what an amazing man my husband is. I’ve liked him for a long time, but I’ve been unbelievably impressed with him on the mission. He quite frankly was disappointed in this call, as I was also. At first we both really struggled, then decided we could at least show up and see what it was like. The MTC helped a lot, especially seeing that there are worse calls in the world than this one. Once we arrived in Cibicue Robert just rolled up his shirtsleeves and went to work. He did everything I asked and more to make our living space acceptable. One day he was talking on the phone and when he hung up I said, “You’ve got to stop being so negative about this.” He said he didn’t realize he was being negative but he did need to stop. And he did. Just like that. Since that moment he’s communicated such willingness to do whatever anyone asks him to do. What I’m seeing more than ever is his love for the Savior and a true commitment to serve Him wherever and however he can. Yesterday he said one of the prayers and bore his testimony and I was so impressed with what a good and spiritual person he is and how lucky I am to be his wife. The children will verify that I am truly lucky that I’m still his wife as witchy as I can be. I’m lucky he never packed up his toys and left home.
Before attending district meeting in Pinetop we were able to realize one of the blessings of missionary work. This weekend is Stake Conference which means we go to Show Low for the Saturday night meeting, home, and back again for the Sunday meeting at 10:00. This did not sound fun, so we decided we’ll spend the night in Show Low. We stopped at the Holiday Express we like and asked for a reservation. The clerk said are you with the Gerald Buttars party because if you are we have a better discount. Gerald Buttars happens to be the mission president so we certainly considered ourselves a member of his party. Instead of the 80.00/night we paid last week we got a room for 55.00. Now that’s our idea of a tangible blessing.
Elder Thompson, one of the Elders who stays here on Monday nights, taught at the district meeting and it was very good. More geared to the proselyting missionaries than to us, but we enjoyed meeting all the Elders in the district and learning more about teaching. We also met Elder and Sister Remington from Vernal, Utah, who are serving as a proselyting couple in Fort Apache. The Elders were very amusing. They talked about how they go to Wal-Mart and pretend to shop so they can talk to people. We have to learn their vocabulary. PMG is Preach My Gospel and OYM is Open Your Mouth. BRT is Build Relationships of Trust.
Afterwards we went shopping again. We’ve decided this was our last trip to Wal-Mart. That place is so busy, it’s just crazy. Every day of the week is just like Saturday at the Logan Wal-Mart. There’s a Kmart and Safeway store right next to each other on the other side of town and we’ve decided that’s our new spot. Still busy but not so bad.
We also received a call from the housing coordinator saying they’re still looking for furniture for us. However, the call was not too encouraging. She said she found a great new chair, and as soon as she irons on some tape to close up the tears in it we should find it quite functional. The second chair she’s located will be just peachy as soon as they clean it, if they can get out all the stains. I’ll bet the mission president and his wife don’t get used furniture!
Back at Cibicue we got dinner ready and made frogeye salad for a luncheon tomorrow then went with the Benitos for a couple of hours. They drove all around town with us and showed us where all the members live. Like we’re going to remember! Then they came back here and had dinner with Elders Thompson and Ilto and us. We ate…can you guess? Lasagna, of course! Maxine (Benito) says she wants to learn how to make it and I said I’d trade lasagna for Indian Fry Bread. Works for us! Then the Elders and President played basketball with some local kids while Robert attempted to referee (dangerous) and I went with Maxine to do a food order which we’re supposed to go to Snowflake tomorrow and pick up. The missionary work is not bad, but our social life is killing us!
Forgot something important last night. About 5 minutes after the Benitos left there was a knock on the door and it was their 11-year-old son, Keegan. He said, “Come quick. There’s a rainbow.” We had never seen a rainbow at night. It was surreal. There was a huge full moon and apparently that gave enough light for us to see the rainbow. The colors were not intense like in the daytime, but it was beautiful. We thought it was so sweet of them to come and get us so we could see it. They’re an amazing family.
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment