


October 7, 2006
Finally finished our cleaning today. The place isn’t perfect but we’ve done all we can do. So this afternoon we went for a walk. It was very nice. This is a beautiful place.
We only had 1 visitor today, multiplied by about 7. This couple came to the door and introduced themselves. Her name is Orlena May and his is Abel. They are a brother and sister and they explained that they had come to ask if they could borrow the tables from the church. They are having a birthday party tonight for their sister and are expecting about 150 people and only had 5 tables. We said sure, no problem. We have no idea what the church policy here is on lending tables, but we need friends. We figure the church can always buy more tables.
So Robert and Abel go out to the church shed to get the tables. Robert asks if he needs help loading the tables and he says no. By the time they get back around the corner with the first table there are 7 guys waiting with a truck to load up the tables. Robert says he has no idea where they came from or how they knew he was ready for help. We think they were waiting in the bushes, spying, to see if they actually got the tables. After they load the pickup Orlena and Abel get in the front, and it’s a small pickup, and all 7 guys climb in the back with the tables. Robert said the poor pickup’s tires were just about flat. He asked if the truck was going to make it and they looked at him like he was the crazy one. Orlena said she would be very responsible and return the tables. We hope so as we gave them every table this little church has.
Orlena stayed inside while the men got the tables and talked with me. She was very pleasant and I sort of had my first missionary moment. I asked her if she goes to church here and she said no. Then she told me that her children go to a private boarding school in Linden and they learn about God and the scriptures there. She said they’re always excited to come home and tell her what they’ve learned and tell her the scriptures they memorize. So I said, “Sounds like the children are very interested in learning about God. We have classes for the children, called Primary. I think they might like those classes. Why don’t you come to our church and bring the children sometime?” She said she thought they would like to do that. However, I do realize that the Lamanites often say yes just to be polite. Nevertheless, I was excited that I was actually brave enough to say something. She also told me that she used to come to some church activities, and I told her we’d invite them next time there’s an activity. When she left she said she’d come back with her children so we can meet them. I hope she does. And we said we’d come visit her sometime. Now we have 2 families that have said we can come and visit them…this one and the ones who lived in Idaho.
This was also a humbling visit. I’ve worked so hard to get this trailer to what I consider halfway decent, and Orlena looked around and said, “You have a really nice house.” OK. No more complaining about the trailer.
I talked to Lynda Reiley last Monday and she had a bunch of news, of course. I don’t think I ever shared it here. The saddest news…RJ Thueson has a brain tumor. He has to have it operated on and it’s in a very difficult spot. Robert tried to call him Thursday when we were in civilization, but he didn’t answer. Put that little family in your prayers. Also, Kalen Hunter came home from his mission. Seems he and his girlfriend…well, you know this story I’m sure. Finally she said that the guy who bought our house is putting in a sprinkling system. Good for him!
Remember we said the best way to call us is during the weekend when your Verizon is free and that it’s really expensive for us to call so we’d kind of wait for you and now it’s the weekend and nobody’s called and……………oh well. Beckie wins dutiful daughter award for the week since she’s made the most comments on the Blog. Honorary mention goes to Heather for also commenting. We laughed very hard when we read all the comments. Thanks!




3 comments:
Randy and I are both a little freaked out over the similarities to your current domicile and our former one. Did Paul and the church buy from the same place? I'm serious: the "wood" in the kitchen, the scary floral wallpaper, the arrangement of the rooms. It's almost deja vu.
And don't worry: we will all call you. At the same time. It's no fun unless we're all trying to get a hold of you at once. Shawn and Veda were at a conference today, Beckie was tending their kids, and Ethan, Allison, and I went to a wild western theme party. I ended up dragging both of them off the dance floor where they were performing for the crowd. Ethan was doing his breakdancing white-boy jive and Allison had some involved pirouettes and toe tapping going on. Who would have thought the Mormon would have brought the party animals?
Love,
Heather
Yes - I was busy with Shawn's growing brood and didn't have your new number programmed into the phone - this will be rectified.
Ash and Jax miss their grandparents! I miss my mommy and daddy!
Your house is lovely - and I sure hope that after the money the church spent on the trailer...you don't have to go and tell them you "lost" the tables...hmmmm *raised eyebrow*
I think you guys are off to a lovely start. I'm so proud of how friendly and welcoming you've been - the people are already blessed by your goodness - as I knew they would be.
Sure - after all the "my kids never call" whining - you're not even home when I do...
Hope you enjoyed your first missionary Sunday!
Post a Comment