Thursday, February 14, 2008

Feb 13 08

February 13, 2008

We started out cleaning house, but before we could finish Maxine called. She’s been in Whiteriver at the hospital with her grandma since Sunday. I told her earlier that I would come and get her if she wanted to come home and get some rest, and sure enough, two hours later I was headed to Whiteriver. Once I got there we had to wait for the nurse to finish giving her grandmother a bath so Maxine could tell her she was leaving. Maxine told me that last night her grandmother said she wanted to go home, but the family all explained she had to stay there. Then she said she wanted to pray, and in Apache she prayed, “Please bless all these women in this room, whoever they are, that they will get a heart and let me go home.”

When we finally got in the truck Maxine asked if I would mind “checking out Inifinia.” I said what’s Infinia and where is it? Well, Inifinia is another nursing home where they might have to send the grandmother and it’s in Show Low. No, of course I didn’t mind. It was only 80 miles out of my way. We went there, then I bought her lunch and bought KFC for the family for dinner. Another $100 Maxine day!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. Robert finished cleaning then did some studying until I came back. He then commenced what could be the last Scout pickup. He might have one more Wednesday night here, depends on when we take Betty Lee to the temple, but that’s another story. They had 12 scouts and made banana splits. That was a big hit!

The missionaries came about 9:30. This time it was Elder Lefler and Elder Bateman. We went in to get ready for bed and Betty Lee’s granddaughter called. She wanted to make the sugar cookie recipe I gave them at Ladies’ Night last week, but didn’t have cookie cutters or sour milk. I told her I had cookie cutters and lemon juice to make sour milk and she said she wanted to come right over and get them. I got them out and told Elder Lefler to give them to her when she came. I heard her come and then he came back and knocked on the bedroom door and said, “She wants me to ask you if she can mix them with a mixer or if she has to mix them by hand.” He had the funniest look on his face. You never know what missionary work will involve out here on the rez, do you?

1 comment:

glo said...

When I pray about Cibecue, I feel a very sad feeling. They're going to miss you, I think.