Saturday, February 09, 2008

Feb 8 08

February 8, 2008

One more month! Time is definitely flying by.

Today we find ourselves happily engaged in Robert’s favorite home furnishing project. Well, Robert is happily engaged. I hate getting furniture but I’m thrilled even for this shabby reason to escape to Phoenix. In spite of my best efforts to derail his redecorating urges, he is obsessed with driving nearly 200 miles to see how much furniture he can squeeze onto the truck without causing it to tip over. He claims this is the very last time he will use the truck to haul furniture up the mountain to anyone in Cibecue. We’ll see. Most of the furniture people have learned to always discuss their furniture needs with him and not me. So we’ll see how good the next sob story is and how capable Robert might actually be of saying “no.” It truly warms his heart to bring furniture to the people of the rez. It only irritates the empty cavity in my body where my heart should be and apparently isn’t.

A couple of days ago we decided to come on Friday and stay overnight. Robert went to hotwire.com and found a motel advertised for $59. I was very nervous, because I wasn’t sure where it would be, or if it would be a decent place. All the Hampton Inn class motels in Phoenix right now are $150-200 per night. However, when we checked in we were very pleasantly surprised. It was a lovely place and the room was wonderful. We had such a great night. We checked in about 6:00, and never left the room. We watched Wheel of Fortune at 6:30, Bones at 7:00, Psych at 8:00 and that’s the last I remember. The room had a king-size pillow-top mattress and I had a great rest. Lest we be completely classified as “old fogeys”, we should say that before we got to the hotel we saw “Fool’s Gold” and then ate at Texas Roadhouse. The movie was cute but a little slow at times. Basically it was National Treasure with Kate Hudson and Matthew M. (can’t spell his last name) but National Treasure did it better.

This morning before we left we fixed homemade cornbread, ham and scrambled eggs for the Elders. Guess I had to do that because I felt guilty leaving them tonight. I didn’t realize they planned to stay overnight again so I didn’t have a plan for their dinner. Poor babies! They had to fend for themselves! I think they survived, though, because I cooked them a huge ham and funeral potatoes for dinner last night. After Homemaking Meeting Elder Lindsey wanted me to call his mother, so we did. He was so excited to sit there and listen to us talk. I asked his mom if there was anything she wanted me to tell him and she said he hadn’t written her a good long letter in over a month, so would I tell him to write to her? What a happy moment! I got all over that Elder Lindsey about not writing his mother. He said the whole phone call was a bad idea, because now he was in trouble with his mom and his mission mom at the same time.

No comments: