December 14, 2006
All day yesterday I kept saying to Robert that tomorrow I was sleeping until 10:00 and didn’t want to see a single person. So last night on the way to take Alma and Gilbert home they tell us they have an appointment at the health clinic this morning. I have no idea what happened but before I knew it my mouth said, “Would you like us to take you?” What was I thinking? Obviously I wasn’t. Robert was shocked.
So we had to pick them up at 8:45 this morning. Gilbert had agreed to help Robert put away tables and chairs (Robert paid him $20). So after their appointment Robert picked them up to do that and we fixed them a little lunch. During lunch we had a great talk with them. They told us more about themselves than they ever had before. We had a chance to talk about alcohol abuse and the church and lots of things we’ve been wanting to say to them. We talked with them a long time ago about getting married. We were totally discouraged after that conversation because we felt like it just didn’t go over well at all. So today they got all excited and said they wanted to tell us something. They said that after we talked to them about getting married they thought a lot about the things we said and they’ve decided they want to get married in January or February. We were absolutely stunned and thrilled. We would just like this little couple to do better than so many of the families we see. Their little girl is adorable. She deserves a good family. And I got to hold little Famisha for a long, long time. I’ll have to include a picture of her one of these days. She’s a cuddler and it was fun to snuggle her.
After they left we spent the whole afternoon trying to catch up on the Blog and our records and the washing and a dozen other things we’ve neglected this week. Then at 5:00 we went over to the Christmas program at the Elementary School. We’d had so many children ask if we’d come we just couldn’t miss it.
And here’s the highlight of my day. I was so unrighteously proud I nearly burst my buttons. There were probably around 300 people at this program and before it started the principal came over and asked Robert if he would say an opening prayer. He said the most beautifully appropriate prayer. It was a scary thing to do but if I hadn’t known better I would have thought he’d done it a million times. He didn’t sound nervous and he gave a prayer that was definitely our kind of prayer but easy for everyone to listen to. It was just outstanding.
Came straight home and made tacos. Now it’s 8:00 and we’re seriously trying to go to bed soon. We think if we turn off all the lights and hide in the bedroom maybe no one will come and visit us tonight. We’ll see.
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




2 comments:
I am so in awe of you guys. You inspire me.
At the school? How perfect...
Post a Comment