Saturday, December 02, 2006

Dec 2

December 2, 2006

This morning we went to the funeral for little Daena Gooday. It was at the Cottonwood Gym and was, of course, very sad.

The officiator for the funeral was the pastor for the Assembly of God church. His name is Jerry Frawley. We had heard that he was anti-Mormon and unfriendly. However, we were able to introduce ourselves before the funeral began and found him to be quite nice and friendly. We told him we’d like to come and visit him and meet his wife and talk about the community and how to work together to help the people. He said that would be fine and then talked and talked to us. We would love to go and visit him and learn something about the Assembly of God church. He has worked on reservations for 30 years. You’ve got to respect that kind of dedication.

After the funeral we went to visit Dion and Verbena as we haven’t had a chance to see the baby who was born on Tuesday. A friend of theirs drove by and said the baby was in the hospital again. When we got home Sister Peterson from Whiteriver called and said the baby has been taken to Children’s Hospital in Phoenix. She called again later today and said there’s a problem with the baby’s heart. This couple had a baby die of RSV a year ago last October so we’re especially worried about this baby. Remember them in your prayers, OK?

There’s been so much tragedy on this reservation lately. I hope they don’t decide the Mormons have brought down a curse on the community.

The rest of the day we have been home preparing Primary and Sunday School lessons. I made a cute little Christmas stocking thing that the kids can put together tomorrow then I’m going to tell them that each week they come to Primary from now until Christmas I’ll put a little treat in the stocking. I’m not above bribery to get what I want from them. I also called President Bonito and asked him if the Primary kids ever sing in Sacrament meeting for Christmas. He said, “Well, they used to,” and I said, “Great! Let’s do it again. How about the 17th?” I know every time he talks to me he hangs up and mutters, “Bossy white lady!”

Then the Elders called to check on the baptism program for tomorrow and if we’ve talked to Byron and Gilbert and…you gotta wonder how they kept all this going before we came! I love it when they call and ask if we did something they asked us to do. We always tell them, “Yes. We’re good kids, remember?”

1 comment:

glo said...

The Primary kids will be great. Verbena's baby is in my heart and prayers. Some people have the worst luck.