December 5, 2006
First thing this morning we did the exercises from our Healthy Missionary Guidebook instead of walking. Then got more exercise cleaning the trailer. Robert again cleaned the oven because ever since we cooked Thanksgiving turkey it sets off the smoke alarm if we turn on the oven.
The weather today was absolutely gorgeous. Being back up in the 60’s felt good after our little cold spell.
After lunch we visited several families and invited many inactive members to the Christmas dinner that will be held on December 13. Then we went to the church for our ARP meeting. Last week as we sat there and no one came we decided that we would come every single Tuesday, with or without attendees, and stay for the whole hour. We said, after all, what if someone was just walking by and saw the lights in the church and suddenly got the courage to come in. Shouldn’t we be there just in case?
Weird experience. Tonight no one came again. Just as we started putting our stuff away the door opened and in came Kit Cody. Kit had been by the trailer once before…he’s the wild man who wanted a blessing. Well, he looked just as wild tonight, but he came in and talked and talked and talked. We were there until 9:30. We’re not sure if he realized he was at an ARP meeting, but he was aware that he was in church. He told us that he really doesn’t drink much any more. Apparently tonight was an exception. But we like Kit and talked to him about coming next Tuesday and having a real meeting. He was in no condition tonight to start the 12 steps. Actually, I wasn’t sure he could take 12 steps. He asked us for money and I was so proud of Robert. He stood firm to the party line…the mission doesn’t allow us to give money, but we can help with food or clothes. He loved the banana bread I made for the meeting. Robert gave him a big hunk and said it was to take home to eat when he was hungry. He said, “Actually, I’m hungry right now.” And ate the whole thing right there.
It was our day for drunks. Another place we went we had been to several times because at our Thanksgiving dinner a mom told Robert about her son who drinks heavily. She’s very worried about him and wanted Robert to talk to him. Well, today he was home and all I can say is that she has good reason to worry. We invited him to the meeting and even went back to pick him up. But by that time he was passed out on the couch, so Robert left him there and said he’d come by the house again. This man fell and had a head injury at his work some time ago so it’s a little difficult to know how much is brain damage and how much is just drunk.
I have to tell my “sweet Robert” story for the day. We have this chair that sits on the porch. It’s a ratty folding chair and I usually keep it as far away from the door as possible. The only reason we leave it there is because Cue, the mission cat, likes to sit there. So today I noticed that the chair was over right against the trailer. I asked Robert why he’d moved it and he said he felt like it was out in the wind too much where it had been and he was afraid it was too cold for Cue to sit on out there. Isn’t that just like the wicked cat-killer from days past?
We’re convinced no one reads the Blog any more, so we’re posting a reward tonight. Anyone who comments on this Blog will receive a $20.00 VISA gift card from Elder and Sister Charlton. This offer expires at midnight December 8.
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




4 comments:
I was reading faithfully until Thanksgiving week when nothing was posted forever. I became utterly despondent and decided to give up all hope.
Now that I'm over my despondency (it got boring), I'd like to report our big news of the day: Dora the Explorer has a new outfit. Yep, that's why I can't keep up on commenting on your blog. When big news like this happens, it kind of takes over your life.
Allison asks about 20 times a day: is it Christmas yet? And I'm getting an unholy joy in saying, "If you knew what I knew." Yes, it's revenge time on my children for the pain my parents put me through!
Love you and hope your day passes with a few more sober people in it.
You know, I had some comments about the funeral and the trials and tribulations of mission life, but they are no longer relevant since I'm never speaking to either of you again.
The kids send their thanks for the dancing snowman freaky noisy thing that arrived today.
I think Heather believes that you get $20 per comment. Wait, is that the case? If so, I can comment more, and more, and more.
Wow, first Edmund riding me about not writing enough and now my parents. It just keeps pouring on.
Ashlin has decided her favorite Christmas song is Jingle Bells. In fact, she announced today that, "This sure is a beautiful song." The best part is that she has a Barney version. I can never get enough of that song.
Love you guys and thanks for the updates. Even if we do not comment, we are regular readers and love feeling included.
Now I feel guilty. I wasn't sure you guys were reading comments, so I stopped. I am now recommitted!
I actually do really feel bad that when I talked to you Sunday I hadn't read in a few days and had no idea what you were going through. I am so sorry. You were so happy and upbeat I would have never guessed what a week you had. You, and the many you are touching are in our prayers.
p.s. Though we don't have any "cute kids" stories.. I did want you to know we have been greatly blessed. We never thought we would survive this semester, and it ended up being one of the greatest for both of us. (And it ended with a new job for me!) So keep in touch, and don't let me be so selfish talking so much about myself next time you've had a week like this. !
Post a Comment