Sunday, May 20, 2007

May 19 07

May 19, 2007

Happy Birthday, Sharon.

We have learned on this mission that one should be humble and never over-rate one’s contributions. Nevertheless, we must record for our posterity, that we have become of such importance to the culture of the Cibecue community that we just don’t know what they’ll do after we leave. We are simply imbedded in their very lives and they can’t function without us. For example, this morning about 9:00 a car races up our driveway and two men leap out. They run for our door and start frantically pounding. Robert opens the door. It’s Alfred and Jared and they have a huge problem, one upon which the entire fabric of their lives hinges. Jared has rented a tuxedo for his 8th grade graduation today and they don’t know how to put it on. Robert and the Elders came to their rescue and Jared left a happy, fashionably dressed graduate. Now, really, where else could they have gone for this kind of spiritual guidance?

We attended the graduation ceremony, which was very nice. The 8th graders and the seniors hold their graduation together. There were 20 8th graders and 11 seniors. The graduation gowns were blue for the boys and white for the girls. At the end it got a little long because for each senior both parents spoke and told something about the graduate. It was in the gym, so the sound was terrible, and we really couldn’t hear anything anyone said.

Before graduation started I was walking around visiting with people and I stopped to talk to Megan’s mother. Megan was the one we had to schedule three times to get her baptized. As we were talking her mother, Rhonda, said her son, Adriano, wants to be baptized. She said he told her he goes to scouts at that church, so he thinks he should belong to it. I said that would be great, but since this is not the first time Adriano’s baptism has been discussed, I mentioned that he does need to attend church at some point prior to his baptism. Elder Itri worked really hard to get him baptized, but could never corral the little guy long enough to get him to church. So I reminded Rhonda that the mission requires him to attend church twice before he’s baptized. Then she said, “I was thinking maybe I should get one too.” This comment left me momentarily stunned, as I really had no idea what she thought she should get. Finally the spirit woke me up and I realized she was talking about getting baptized herself. Then I was slightly more stunned but did manage to act appropriately delighted, as I truly would be if that actually happened. I told her the best way to get her son to church would be for all of them to just get up and come together. She said that was a good idea and she thought they’d come to church tomorrow. We’ll see.

We sat by Maxine and the kids (David was on the stand as part of the school board). Just before the graduation started Ariel came up to Robert and said, “Can I have $100 to get me a soda pop?” Too cute. Robert gave her $1.00. Stingy!!!

We had to leave a little early to pick up Betty Lee for the temple. We had a pretty small group at the temple…just us, Betty, Janet Roswell (pervious stake missionary in Cibecue) and Bro. Wilcock. But the temple workers were wonderful and made Betty feel so at home.

When we first got there, Betty got out her recommend and set it on the desk. The temple worker didn’t even look at it. In fact, he didn’t even pick it up. Finally, I picked it up and asked if he was finished with it and he looked at me like I had lost some important mental functions in my old age. So I just handed it to Betty and we went upstairs to the records check. There, Brother Potts discovered that the Stake President had not signed her recommend. He had signed the Living Ordinance side, but not the recommend side. He said it was fine, it wouldn’t stop us today because he could clearly see the Pres. Seamen had signed it and had just forgotten the other side. But we would have to get that it signed before she comes again. He said that any member of the stake presidency can sign it now.

All kinds of stuff went through my mind. First, I started thinking oh, great, another trip to Show Low to find Pres. Seamen, or one of the other members of the presidency. Then I thought how glad I was that the brother at the desk hadn’t looked at it. I’m sure it would have been a showstopper to him.

On we went to the dressing room where they took Betty to initiatory. One of the sisters told me that Robert was doing some sealings, so I got dressed and sat out in the foyer. As I’m sitting there Robert came out and I just finished telling him about the missing signature when who should come up the stairs but President Perkins, a member of the stake presidency. Now how convenient was that? Robert followed him into the dressing room and asked him if he would sign Betty’s recommend after the session. Turns out President Perkins didn’t know we would be in that session. He just happened to feel that he needed to come to the temple, in spite of a very bad night where he had very little sleep. I have a picture of him in the foyer of the temple signing Betty’s recommend.

I think Betty was a little lonely, being the only Apache there. It was just a bad day, so many graduation parties, funerals, and a big celebration at Ft. Apache. Ft. Apache Branch was scheduled for a temple day, too, so we thought at least she might know someone in the session. But they cancelled because of the funerals. Betty is very quiet and reserved, so I couldn’t get much reaction out of her. But on the way home she asked about doing temple work for her deceased family members, so we think that means she wants to go back.

We had dinner at Eva’s with Sis Roswell, and got home around 8:30. As we walked in the door Robert said, “Would you like to watch a video?” I said, “No! I’m going to bed.” I was in bed sound asleep before he could change clothes and brush his teeth. I’m always tired after the Elders are here, but this was extreme. Robert said I snored and he had to ask me several times to turn over. I don’t even remember talking to him.

We’re all so convinced Elder Day is getting transferred that we said our goodbyes this morning. We took some pictures, then when we came home we found this note on our dry erase board: Goodbye,Charltons. You two are the best. Thanks for being great second parents. It made life a lot easier for me. I’ll always remember the great times together, especially the Scrabble nights and the chance to be the testers of your cooking. I love you two. I’ll make sure to stop at Logan to visit. Love, Elder Day. CBQ #1

Elder Day has been such a sweet missionary. This was his first area and he’s learned a lot. He’s been here for 4 ½ months, so we all think he’s on his way out. Maybe we’ll be fooled and he’ll be back next week.

1 comment:

glo said...

Awww...I hope you share the pictures!