Monday, May 28, 2007

May 26 07

May 26, 2007

Elder Rogers and Elder Miller stayed overnight last night again. We weren’t sure why, but we’re happy to have them. After we had breakfast with them we left for Show Low. We were supposed to have a baptism this morning, but it got postponed. We got a prescription filled for Robert, then I went to Wal-Mart to shop for the Apache Birthday Party while Robert got the oil changed on the truck. We hope Shawn doesn’t get too excited about the birthday party. If it turns out like everything else we’ve invited people to, no one will come. We are serving dinner, so that may change the outcome.

At 2:00 we had a luncheon for Petersons who are leaving next week. They have been serving as seminary instructors in Whiteriver and are going back to Cody, Wyoming. The luncheon was at Brother and Sister Eckman’s in McNary. Brother Eckman has had a struggle with his health. They’re from near Anchorage, where they lived at sea level. McNary is close to 8500 feet, so he’s had altitude sickness ever since he got here. The mission president offered to move them to San Carlos, which is closer to Globe, but they only came for 12 months, so will go home in October, and didn’t want to change. They cooked steaks, and Rosie brought potato salad, Sister Lamm brought rolls, I brought banana and zucchini bread and we had a relish tray. Brother and Sister Eckman are both diabetic, so when she called me she said to bring a “healthy” dessert. I had to ask what in the world that would be. They all seemed happy with the breads. I even made the zucchini bread with part Splenda. S. Eckman has also had that band put around her stomach. I guess she was really heavy. She’s still no supermodel. If I had surgery, I would expect supermodel.

Steve and Rosie weren’t very happy about the lunch because they work a lot with the Petersons and haven’t bonded very well with them. They met us at their church in Pinetop and rode to McNary with us. We were all emphatic that we needed to leave at 4:00. They wanted to go because they have company. We had a pressing engagement—Pirates of the Caribbean.

We enjoyed the movie but had to pay the price when we got home qt 9:00 and still had talks to write for church tomorrow. Warning! The movie is almost 3 hours long. If you’re a potty person, do not sit in the middle of the row. It’s a very entertaining movie, as all have been, but I expected this to be the end and it wasn’t. It ended nicely set up for a #4.

1 comment:

Andi and Cade said...

What a neat missionary lesson! I bet the kids loved that! They will not soon forget that day in Primary.