April 26, 2007
For some reason we’ve been popular early in the morning lately. Today we had a phone call at 7:00 AM from Roma saying she had e-mailed her son’s paper to us and could we proofread it right away and send it to him. He’s attending college in Oklahoma and needed to hand in this paper right away. Roma came over last night and tried to do it herself but the son had e-mailed the paper to her computer at the school where she works and she couldn’t get into the school to access it. We’re not sure why he couldn’t e-mail the paper to us, but for some reason Roma chose to send it this morning and then she had to go on a field trip with the school.
After we finished the paper we walked and then decided to clean. This afternoon I made banana bread and peanut butter squares for homemaking meeting. Shauna Henry had this meeting pretty well organized, so I didn’t have to do much, other than setting up and providing the food. We had a scrapbooking night and it was very successful. At one time we had about 15 people there. We started at 6:30 and at 8:00 Verbena called and said she was coming. Then Alma showed up. And another lady, Michelle Zospah, called and wanted a ride. We had planned to stop at 8:30, but went a little longer to give these late arrivals a chance to work. At 9:00 I told everyone it was time to clean up and put everything away and at 10:30 we actually finished. I was glad they were enjoying themselves, but knowing we have to leave home tomorrow morning at 6:45 AM to go to Zone Conference in St. Johns made me a little anxious to get to bed. Verbena was the last one to leave. She was having such a good time we almost, almost I said, hated to make her leave. She made a beautiful page of pictures of the baby they lost last November. Just as we got everything put away and were ready to walk out the door she said, “Sister Charlton, do you have any stickers?” Well, of course I have stickers, so I pulled a bunch out and just kept giving them to her saying, take these home…you can finish you pages there. Anything to get to bed before midnight, which we didn’t accomplish.
Robert had some study time while I was busy with the ladies. He’s always happy just to reach the end of homemaking day alive because I remind him about 100 times during the day how much I’ve always resisted homemaking and I claim it’s entirely his fault that I’m involved in it out here. However, after I complain all day (I don’t even bother to put on my wristband when it’s homemaking day) I always end up enjoying being with the sisters and meeting new women in the community.
We had some young women come tonight and I invited a couple more to take piano lessons. We’ll see who comes, but Robert teases me about inviting more students because I complain about piano every week, too. I complain because I told him I didn’t want to teach piano and he still volunteered me to do it, so I figure he deserves to hear me complain about it every week for the rest of our mission.
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment