Thursday, September 06, 2007

Aug 24 - Sep 6 07

August 24 - September 6, 2007

We’re back! After a long, long absence from the Blog we are posting once again. August 24 we went to California to help Heather and Rebecca move. When we came back on August 30 Rebecca came with us for a lovely visit. The day after we got home we had Interviews. We are still very impressed with President Craig and actually look forward to our visits with him. On Saturday we went to the Tribal Fair in Whiteriver. We watched the dancers then left a little early because it rained and we got very cold. Also wanted to avoid all the traffic leaving the fairgrounds. The Apaches hold this fair every year over the Labor Day weekend and look forward to it all year. We were glad we went to see it.

Sunday was Fast Sunday Lunch. We served ham, funeral potatoes, salad, rolls and ice cream with chocolate sauce. It was a simple lunch, but it tasted good. Beckie made all the potatoes…two big pans of them. They were delicious. President Bonito gets such a kick out of us calling them funeral potatoes. He says now he’s learning about Mormon Land because he knows what funeral potatoes are.

Beckie also bore her testimony and we enjoyed that very much. After church we went to Tucson and spent Labor Day there. On Tuesday Beckie went with Robert to the doctor and that was very helpful. She can ask far more intelligent questions than we can. On Wednesday we drove to Phoenix and dropped Beckie at the airport. Then, just so we wouldn’t get home while there were still scouts around, we went to a movie and got some groceries.

And today we’re back to missionary work. The Elders came tonight, so this morning I made stew and cornbread. I made that last week for the homemaking meeting, which apparently turned out quite well, but we never got to eat any and it smelled very good, so the Elders had to have that for dinner tonight. I made the cornbread recipe in the Mormon Essentials Cookbook and it is delicious (page 23, Cousin’s Cornbread, for those who have the book).

Robert and I visited Alfred and Thelma this afternoon. They’re still trying to work out the mess with their house. We don’t think they’ll get evicted, but they need to straighten out their finances. We also filled out a food order for them, which we’ll pick up next Tuesday. We stayed and visited way too long, so when we got back to the trailer Robert copied the papers they had given us and delivered them to President Bonito and I stayed here and made my cornbread and baked a cake. While he was gone some kids came over and they were quite pesty. They knocked on the door at least 20 times. I know they wanted to come in, but I just don’t let them any more. Once they said there was a guy outside waiting for President Bonito. I told them to tell him to wait, I was sure President would be here soon. Then they came and said there was a scary man outside. Since they live next door, I logically suggested that if they were frightened maybe they should just run home and tell their mother. I even volunteered to watch from the porch to see that they got home safely. Soon thereafter Robert returned. Turns out the “scary man” was Kit Cody, drunk again. Then I had a little sympathy for the children. Kit is a particularly frightening looking guy, although I don’t think he hurts little children. He’s even a bit scarier than usual now that he’s highlighted his hair with blonde streaks. What a man won’t do for fashion.

Kit asked Robert to go over and bless his house because there’s an evil influence there (could it be him?). Robert took the Elders with him and then they went over to Alfred and Thelma’s to talk to Eric for a while. Eric is depressed and Thelma had called and said he was talking about suicide. They gave him a blessing.

So now we’re all done with dinner and the dishes are washed. We’ve been here too long to say silly things like we’re all settled down for a quiet evening, or that now we’re just going to relax for the rest of the night. We’ll just say we’re finished with the Blog for today and glad to be back to communicating with everyone. We miss you and love you all.

2 comments:

Andi and Cade said...

So glad you're back!! Love you

HMarie said...

Ethan's current preoccupation: toxic crayons. He sidled up to his teacher and whispered, "Are these crayons toxic?" He was really delighted to see that it says in very friendly letters on the front of the box: non-toxic. Phew! Another carcinogen avoided!