Saturday, January 13, 2007

Jan 13 07

January 13, 2007

Show Low and Pinetop had a big snowstorm last night – 6 inches in Pinetop, but Cibecue didn’t get any snow. We were OK with that since we had to leave early this morning to go to Show Low for interviews with President Buttars.

He starts with his training. He said the mission accomplished its goal of 1000 baptisms for 2006, and according to his records they actually had 1060. So the goal for next year is 1140. His “dream” goal is to have a baptism for every missionary every transfer. That would mean something like 1400 baptisms. He’s an ambitious man, but certainly knows how to motive missionaries.

Our interview was typical—he talked a lot and we listened. He told us we are doing a great job in Cibecue. This would have been a wonderful compliment if he hadn’t also said he enjoyed the e-mails we send him. Since we’ve never sent him an e-mail we don’t have a lot of confidence that he actually knows what we do. Therefore the compliment was received with a little smile and a whole lot of doubt.

After our meeting with him we left (the senior couples don’t stay all day like the other missionaries) and went to a movie. We saw “Night at the Museum.” Very enjoyable. Not a deep thinker, but fun. Then a quick trip to Wal-Mart and home, because it was still snowing. However, still no snow in Cibecue.

At Christmas the couple who served here last sent a card to Cheryl and Ricky. We copied their address and this week sent them a letter. When we got home they had called and left a message, so we called them back and had a wonderful talk with them. No wonder all the people here liked them so much. They said they went home May 1, 2003, so it’s been longer than we realized since a couple served here. They also said they loved their mission. They had a lot of helpful ideas, although we discovered Brother Hellman is a recovering alcoholic. Few times that would be a plus in your life, but serving in Cibecue is one of them.

Now Dad is watching the NFL playoff games and I’m playing on the computer. Dad doesn’t have any prep for tomorrow as he finally managed to dump the Sunday School lesson on Bonito. But I had better get something ready for Primary.

4 comments:

Veda said...

Maybe not relevant...but Pres. Ogden required us to do a form letter report to him each week. About half way through my mission I got tired of doing this and just stopped. I never heard anything about my lack of letter writing.

Several years later, Tyler and I were reminiscing about the mission and I commented on this. Tyler replied, "You ungrateful son-of-a-gun [edited for missionary ears]. Ogden never said anything because I wrote one for you every week."

Who would have known that it would be such a blessing to have friends in high places.

HMarie said...

OK, I have absolutely nothing that will top Shawn's comment. Other than you might want to figure out who seems to be writing your e-mails for you.

I'm sad the exorcism didn't work out. Those are the kinds of experiences you love to reminisce on post-mission.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe with how upset they were they just forgot about the exorcism!

I am glad you called Alma's mom... It probably means a lot to her to have an advocate, even if her mom continues to be who she is..

Anonymous said...

Wow. Tyler wrote Shawn's mission letters and Mom had an exorcism. You don't expect all that in a mission blog.