January 27, 2007
Yesterday Bettina Begay called and asked if we would attend a baptism in Whiteriver. She was supposed to go but couldn’t and wanted someone from Cibecue to be there. We saw this as a great opportunity to get Gilbert and Alma to a baptism finally. So I called them and Gilbert answered. First mistake. He’d been sleeping. Second mistake. I asked for Alma but he said she was sleeping. So I asked him if he’d like to go to the baptism and he said yes. I made him repeat about 3 times where we were going and when we’d pick them up. This morning we tried to call and see if Alma got the message but their phone was either off or out of minutes. So now all you readers get to guess the end of this story! You’re right! At 9:00 we got them out of bed and Alma had no idea that we’d ever called. Very disappointing.
We went to the baptism anyway because it was a big baptism for Elder and Sister Remington. They’re waiting to go home after this. There were 45 people there. That’s incredible for a baptism. An older couple, Guy and Yvonna Redsteer, were baptized and it was a wonderful meeting. The ward mission leader for Ft. Apache conducted, spoke and played a wooden flute. He was absolutely amazing. Rosie and Steve told us that he’s an attorney for the tribe and that his wife is the tribal representative for the national organization of Indians and she represents all of the native Americans in Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico. His name is Vincent Craig and Rosie said he travels all over the United States performing. He’s a musician, storyteller and comedian. Rosie and I talked to his wife for a few minutes and got ourselves invited to a conference on HIV that she’s sponsoring. Attendance is invitation only and Rosie was shocked that she invited us. Seems she’s not too fond of white folks. Robert asked what we said to weasel that invitation out of her but we can’t remember. We were just asking her about what projects she’s working on. I also asked if I could bring Maxine, and she said all right, but I’m not sure if Maxine will be able to go if her grandma is still having trouble.
Sister Remington said the closing prayer and gave a little goodbye speech before she prayed. It was so sad. We’re having another get-together with them Monday night.
After the baptism we went to the hospital. Wes Machuse had been there but was released yesterday. We planned to visit him and also Maxine’s grandma. On the way in we passed Pres. Bonito sitting in his truck waiting to take Maxine home. We visited with Maxine inside the hospital then P. Bonito came in the he and Robert administered to her grandma. Poor lady. She’s 84 and has pneumonia, but also has congestive heart failure. Her children don’t check on her so she falls all the time and gets bruises all over her. A social worker met with the family and wanted to put Rose in a nursing home, but the children promised to check on her. Maxine says it’ll never happen, and Irene Mruphy, Rose’s sister agrees. Maxine is the only one who has stayed with her in the hospital and she’s been there for 4 nights. She looked so tired, but said she’s going home this afternoon to get some rest. We brought them pizza back from Show Low. Not really generous of us as the Papa Murphy’s is owned by a member and he gives any missionary free pizza. We also got free refills at the Circle K. We’d never stopped at this store before, but if they’re giving away free missionary stuff we’ll be regulars from now on.
We went back through Show Low as I had some things at Wal-Mart I needed to return. But when we got there the parking lot was packed! We couldn’t face the crowd so just got groceries and talked to all our kids on the phone. We’ve decided after seeing children out here that ours are underappreciated. Believe us…we think you’re all wonderful and we do truly appreciate having such a great family.
We had a 5:00 appointment with Dion and Verbena to finish the lesson we never got through last night, but they called and cancelled as they also went to Whiteriver. We got home about 6:00, all excited to relax for the night, and they called and asked if we could come at 7:30. Of course we did. Her parents were there and they are the ones who pushed her to have the medicine man come. They’re very traditional Apache and want her to follow the old ways. So, we couldn’t get much information about the spirit as she was pretty hesitant to talk about it with her parents there. We had a good lesson with them. We think they’re sincere about wanting to go to the Temple.
While we were driving today we had a long talk about the mission. I’d like to share some of our thoughts and hope I can communicate what I want. We’ve never hated being here, but those first few months were a real adjustment. Everything in our lives was suddenly turned upside down. We struggled, and still do at times, to feel like we fit in. And I counted every minute. I came up with a dozen different ways to count the passing of time and sometimes felt like I was counting minutes instead of days. I still am and I still long for home and for my own comfort zone. I don’t think Robert was as obsessed with the passing of time as I was but he had his own share of discouragement.
This past week we finally reached the point where we were truly happy to be serving a mission. Things seems like they’re coming together and we’ve had some incredible experiences. Every day we wake up and spend our whole day looking for ways to serve God. What an amazing thing to do. And the really miraculous part is that He never fails to send us some place where He has something for us to do. It happens over and over. We just feel like going to a particular home, or stopping by the hospital, or asking a certain question. The power of the Lord is overwhelming on a mission and that’s a great thing to experience. Also, I’ve been with my husband through serving in the bishopric, ward mission leader, Bishop and many other callings, but I’ve never seen him do anything like he did last night when he blessed that home. Where else would I have had that experience? So, while I’m still counting and can’t wait to go home, I want to enjoy these experiences and not waste the time we have here. It is a blessing.
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment