Friday, October 12, 2007

Oct 11 07

October 11, 2007

We spent all morning cutting out cardboard patterns for the yarn dolls we’re making in Homemaking meeting tonight. Robert was so much help. First he went and found a box. We needed a piece of cardboard 20” long. So guess how big the box was? Exactly 20 inches! Then he cut up all the cardboard while I drew the patterns on each piece. We also cut up some other carboard we had around the house, and when we finished the last pattern we had used precisely the amount of cardboard we had available. Robert also set up all the tables for me and even fixed me lunch. I probably have the best companion in the entire mission field!

I’ve tried many times to get Irene to help with this project. Finally when we delivered the flyer to her house yesterday (of course she didn’t come to the door) I just wrote on it, “Come and help us with this if you can.” To my absolute shock she showed up tonight and she was wonderful. She took right over and showed everyone what to do and stayed until the very last doll was finished. We didn’t have enough faces and ran out of black yarn. Thelma ran over to her house and got some yarn but they’ll just have to wait until next meeting for their faces.

One lady came whom I had never met before. She said she heard about it on the radio. She was sure glad we put that ad on the radio because she had a great time and wants to come again. Trick is we didn’t put it on the radio. We don’t know who did, but we put a flyer at the tribal office so maybe someone there let the radio know about it.

I made biscuits and chocolate gravy for them. They never say much, but they took the recipes for the gravy so I guess they liked it. They certainly ate everything. Fourteen women came. Some of them made 2 or 3 dolls. It was a good evening.

No comments: