October 25, 2007
We’re a little disturbed with the Elders at the moment. These two don’t seem to have the excitement about working with the Apaches that our others have had. They hardly spend enough time in Cibecue to accomplish anything. For instance, today they came at 2:00 and left about 6:30, right after dinner. Then they complain that they can’t find anyone home. We’ve given them two golden contacts and they didn’t see either one of them. We think Elder Wahlquist is struggling with Elder Miller as his companion. He’s come down several times with other Elders. Also he’s not as outgoing as Itri and Rogers, and we understand that this can be a hard place. But we even have had nonmembers ask why the Elders don’t come any more. Tomorrow we have interviews with President Craig and we’re going to talk to him about our concerns.
Robert just said, “OK, get to the juicy part.” He so looks forward to homemaking meeting because I have to come home and confess what a great success it has been. Such humility on my part has been a rare treat for him these past 38 years.
We made baby quilts to give away for Christmas. The first time I put quilts on no one came. I wasn’t expecting much tonight but 10 women showed up and about half of those were members. I guess homemaking meeting is what the Lord wants us to do because it just somehow works out. I made two huge pans of the chicken and stove top stuffing thing that we like. I put out the first pan and wondered what I would do with the whole other big pan because there were only 10 women eating. Why do I think these silly things? Some people came in late and I put out the second pan and by the end of the evening there was not a drop left. Robert didn’t get the leftovers he thought he would get.
In the afternoon Robert helped me put two baby quilts on the frames. The ladies finished those, we put on a third one, and they finished that. Cheryl sat at the sewing machine for two hours and finished binding two quilts we made earlier. Juliet, who is taking the temple class with her husband, came and brought her aunt again. The aunt is one of our golden contacts that we have been trying to get the Elders to visit. I wrote on the chalkboard the next two meetings we’ll have, which are our crocheting night that Sharon is doing, and then the Thanksgiving dinner. Juliet came up and said she and her aunt would like to make the food for the next meeting. I nearly fainted. That’s the first time an Apache has ever offered to help with anything. After the meeting Maxine said she’d like to help with the Christmas ladies’ party. These are good signs, although I wasn’t sure if Juliet offered because she wants to help or because they’re sick of my cooking. Whatever…I’m thrilled that they’re getting involved.
Marcia Cooley also came. She’s a lady who is a member, but doesn’t come to church. She has come to some of our homemaking meetings. Her daughter also came and told me she had been on placement in Rexburg. So we talked for a while about that and then she asked if we ever have Primary here. Yeah, we do, every Sunday, so she said she thought her children might like to come to Primary. I encouraged her to bring them this Sunday as we’ll do something fun for Halloween.
While I was busily engaged at homemaking meeting I pictured Robert all relaxed, watching the World Series, spending some time alone. NOT! First, he fed the Elders, then Prosident Bonito came and spent the whole time I was at homemaking talking to him. President gets very discouraged sometimes and Robert is a good listener.
I also have to say how much I appreciate Robert, especially on homemaking days. He is so willing to do anything I need. He sets up all the tables, helps put on quilts, even helps cook if that’s what I ask him to do. He’s so helpful that I even have to forgive his annoying satisfaction when I come back and tell him how much I enjoyed the evening and that homemaking has turned out to be one of our successes.
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment