November 3, 2007
This morning we got to exercise again, since we couldn’t yesterday morning because the Elders were in the church. Then we went visiting. We took a baby quilt to Mary Thompson because she said she would bind one for us. Then we talked to Irene and Deoma about coming to a Branch Council meeting tomorrow to plan the Thanksgiving dinner. We took the letters from the temple over to Byron and Juliet, and talked to Dion about going to the temple Tuesday morning. They can never go with the branch because he works swing shift at the casino. So they’ve been asking us to go a day just with them. We stopped and talked to Alfred for a few minutes. Thelma and Jared were at the funeral for the boy who was in the fire. Jared was a pall bearer.
We visited with Myrna for quite a while. She said Rendell has a job now and might be able to “work things out.” We assumed she meant he can afford to divorce the Phoenix wife and maybe they can get married and she can start working on going to the temple. She had a good trip to Hawaii. We tried to visit Betty but she wasn’t home. And we visited Maxine and took her some Young Women materials and told her about the meeting tomorrow. She called later and said she won’t be able to come because she has to work. She also said she can’t get the right amount of money taken out of her check for taxes and doesn’t understand the W4 form she’s supposed to fill out. We told her to come by tomorrow and we’ll help her with it.
We came back and Robert studied yet again. He’s almost finished his 20 credits.
Cheryl called and said she couldn’t get to the store to buy a cake mix, so didn’t make a cake for tomorrow. Oh, well, it was a nice thought. When we were driving home from our visits Robert said maybe we needed a backup plan, so I made chocolate cake in case Cheryl didn’t bring enough for everyone. He must have been inspired because before she even called I made the cake and have enough to probably give everyone a little piece.
We bought a gallon of vanilla ice cream at the commercial center to go with the cake. We gave them a $10 bill and got $1.61 back in change. Do the math. They’re selling what you could buy at Safeway for $3-4 for $8.39. A couple in front of us had one grocery cart full of stuff and they paid $108 for it. We said it reminded us of the company stores the mining and railroad companies ran for their workers. They overcharged them deliberately to keep them in poverty. There was an old song that said, “I owe my soul to the company store.” That’s just how these poor people are. It makes us mad that the tribe inflates the prices so outrageously.
Despite the rumors, I don't live here anymore
8 years ago




2 comments:
That is so cruel, I wish there was something you could do about it.
I was just thinking about what to say on your last post about Cheryl and my skeptisism about her bringing a cake.. when I read this! I have to admit, I did laugh a little.
Oh - that rip-off just makes me all kinds of indignant! How dare they!
Only 17 weeks of post happiness?! Not possible. I'll miss your mission, even though I'll be glad you're home.
Post a Comment