Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Nov 6 07

November 6, 2007

This morning we got up bright and early and were at Dion and Verbena’s by 8:05 to pick them up for the temple and guess what. They couldn’t go. Yesterday Verbena’s mother had some chest pains and today they needed to take her to the doctor in Whiteriver to do some tests.

So by 8:30 we had changed our clothes, cancelled our appointment at the temple (not because we didn’t want to go, but because we had so many other things we needed to do) and were headed out of town again. Ricky had called early to ask if we would drop him off up the canyon to hunt turkeys, but when we got there they had changed their minds and decided to go to Whiteriver with her parents. That was a whole lot of rejection for the first half hour of the morning, but we recovered quickly.

We went to Snowflake and got Myrna’s food order. While we were there waiting for it Maxine returned my call from earlier this morning. I wanted to ask about turkeys for the branch dinner. At our meeting Sunday we decided to have both roast beef and turkey this year so we were trying to decide how many turkeys to get. We get them from the storehouse since we are providing a meal for the poor. Bro & Sis Wilcock were adamant that we cooked 3 turkeys last year and had one whole turkey we never even served. So the committee decided 2 turkeys would be enough this year. I just couldn’t feature feeding 150 people with 2 turkeys and a couple of roasts, and I was quite sure we cooked more than 3 last year. I remember cooking 2 of them, 1 in my oven and 1 in the church. I wanted to see if Maxine remembered. She did. We cooked 5 turkeys. So Robert and I got 3 turkeys at the storehouse. That feels a little better.

After our lunch we went for a beautiful walk around Show Low Park. It’s a gorgeous day and we really enjoyed the walk. It was 73 degrees there. Phoenix has had record highs the last 2 days and probably today, so we can certainly appreciate why the Phoenix population loves to come up here.

When we got back we unloaded all the food at Myrna’s and then our own groceries and then started delivering flyers for homemaking night. This did not go well. Everywhere we went we ended up stopping to talk and so didn’t make much progress. Verbena was having trouble on her computer and asked me to come in and help her. I could see what she was doing wrong, but not sure she understood what I told her she should do. She’s trying to make an invitation for her baby’s memorial dinner which will be on December 22. Earlier today when I talked to Maxine President Bonito said he needed help on his computer. So after Verbena we spent an hour and a half at President’s work doing stuff for him on the computer. So, honestly, did you ever think your mom would be the town computer geek?

1 comment:

Andi and Cade said...

I knew it was possible for you to be the computer geek! Hey, if I am the one YOU come to, then anything is possible! I'm so proud!